My occasionally snarky thoughts on everything from motherhood, politics, life and current events. Cocktails are sometimes mandatory. Bottoms up!

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Cookies and Candies and Bars indeed!

ArmyWifeToddlerMom has put out a call for great Christmas Cookie recipes. And who am I to refuse a shout-out for recipes?? People who know me would agree, I am all about the snacks.

Seriously.

And I do quite a bit of holiday baking and candy making. I just love walking into my house and catching that faint whiff of cinnamon or chocolate. And then starting the process making the yummy smells and goodies all over again.

This year I will be making Cranberry Orange Bread, Pumpkin Bread, homemade Toffee, and chocolate dipped Peanutbutter Balls.

Oh, and Snickerdoodles... Lots of Snickerdoodles... Those are *my* favorite cookies for sure...

Snickerdoodle Cookies (Christmas Style)

½ C. butter
1½ C. all purpose flour
1 C. sugar
1 egg
½ tsp. vanilla
¼ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. cream of tartar

to dip/roll cookies: 2 Tbs. sugar, 1 tsp. ground cinnamon

For Christmas Cookies I use the Green sugar/cinnamon and Red sugar/cinnamon to roll the dough balls in. You get pretty, sparkly red and green goodness!

Cream together butter, sugar, egg, and vanilla. Mix all dry ingredients (first) then add to butter mixture by thirds. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.

To bake, heat oven to 375. Roll dough into approx. 1” balls then roll in sugar/cinnamon mix before placing 2 inches apart on non-greased baking sheet. Bake 9-11 minutes until just golden.

**I usually double or quadruple the recipe when I am making them.

**It is easy to overbake these cookies as the cinnamon makes it hard to tell when they are getting just a tad golden.These cookies are really easy to scorch.

**You can make the cookies as big as you want—I have had great luck even making them dinner plate sized. (You will have to slightly flatten them yourself if you decide to make ‘em big).

**Chilling the dough is nice but not super necessary. You will get chewier cookies if the dough is chilled, though.

**This is a great recipe to make with your kids. I have baked them for years with the girls without much frustration. Well, some - but not a TON anyway... (And wine helps... just sayin'.)

So there you go! More Christmas cheer for everyone via baked goods is always a good thing...

And if I'm smart, I'll take a hint from AWTM and get my holiday baking started this weekend. I got a lotta folks to say thanks and/or Merry Christmas to this year. Happy baking to you as well!