My occasionally snarky thoughts on everything from motherhood, politics, life and current events. Cocktails are sometimes mandatory. Bottoms up!

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Thanksgiving Eve...

And the first order of business is to get the doggies off to the groomers for a day of beauty. And believe me, they need it.

Also a day to get started on the feast we will all enjoy tomorrow. Pretty traditional fare around here...

  • Turkey*
  • Mashed Potatoes*
  • Dressing*
  • Peas
  • Macaroni and Cheese*
  • Cheesy Mushroom Bake
  • A yummy Rice Something (courtesy of Mrs. AkshunJ)
  • And a salad via ArmyWifeToddlerMom that she posted ages ago for the Carnival of the Recipes, I think. You can see the recipe in the comments of this post.

  • Oatmeal Pie*
  • Pumpkin Pie
  • Pumpkin Bread (for breakfast)*
  • and Cheesecake*
(The items with a * are the things I hope to get prepped and or done today.)

Mmmmmmm.... And I was thinking of maybe a nice BBQ Butter Grilled Shrimp appetizer of some sort. But we'll see.

So as you can see, my plate is full today. And will definitely be full tomorrow.

I love, l ove, love Thanksgiving. It's one of my favorite holidays. I have so much to be thankful for, after all.

Oh! And as per Rachel's request, here is the recipe for the Cheesy Mushroom Bake. (Thanks Aunt Donna!!)

1# mushrooms (sliced)
1C. shredded cheddar cheese
1 6-8oz can sliced black olives
1 1/2 Tbs. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. Accent**
1/8 tsp pepper
1/3 C. half & half
1 1/2 Tbs. Butter (melted)
1 C. breadcrumbs

In a casserole dish layer mushrooms, olives, and cheese two or three times. Blend flour, salt, pepper and half & half and pour over the top. Add the breadcrumbs to the melted butter and sprinkle over the top. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

Now, I am not going to use the Accent - MSG doesn't agree with me, but otherwise I remember this stuff to be simply delicious. I had to call my Aunt Donna the other night to get the recipe since I have never made it myself.

Knowing how I stick to recipes (not) I'll let you know if any other changes I make are worthwhile. Heh.

Okay, I'm off. For those traveling today - I bid you safe roads and/or skies.

For those tending the home fires - may you have a warm and blessed holiday with good food, family and friends.

And may we keep our sense of humor intact...
(Thanks Teresa!)














Happy Thanksgiving, y'all.