My occasionally snarky thoughts on everything from motherhood, politics, life and current events. Cocktails are sometimes mandatory. Bottoms up!

Friday, December 23, 2005

Grandy's English Toffee


This is a recipe that I make every year. It is the only "sweet treat" that *I* have trouble resisting. (And just between you and me that's saying something -- I have a no sweet tooth. Zero. Zip. Nada. And this stuff is like crack. Totally addictive....)

Grandy's English Toffee
1 C. butter
1 C. sugar
3 Tbs. Dark Karo Syrup*
1 Tbs. water

1 pkg. milk chocolate chips
Chopped walnuts or pecans

In a medium sized saucepan combine all ingredients except chocolate. Cook over medium
heat stirring constantly for about 15 minutes. (The candy needs to cook at a rolling boil for between 6½ to 7½ minutes.) Once it changes color slightly and appears to pull away from the sides of the pan, it's done.

Pour onto a cookie sheet on a heat safe surface. (I like to line my pan with foil.) Gently shake or tilt the pan to spread the candy evenly. Sprinkle on one package of chocolate chips. Spread chocolate when melted. Top with chopped nuts. Allow to set overnight.

When the candy has set and the chocolate has completely hardened break into pieces. Enjoy!








The Carnival of the Recipes is up over at World Famous Recipes! Lots of yummy over there to tide your yule over..... Merry Christmas!