My occasionally snarky thoughts on everything from motherhood, politics, life and current events. Cocktails are sometimes mandatory. Bottoms up!

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Movies

Eric over at SWG has been watching some pretty depressing stuff this week. The Exorcist? Good grief! And Armageddon Week (??) didn't include any visions of sugar plums I imagine...

Around here the movie fare has been just a teeny bit more light hearted. 'Course, with the kids on Christmas Vacation and all, I have little choice (unless I want to pay for even more therapy). Maybe I can suggest something a little happier and easier on the eyes....

We went to see Narnia -- The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. It was FABULOUS. Really. Visually it was stunning. The themes of war, betrayal, love, loyalty, duty and magic were brilliantly played out. They completely stuck to the book and the effects were incredible. Absolute eye candy. And the woman who played the White Witch was amazing -- she exuded evil from every pore. Really, really good movie. We thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait to see it again. I give it 4½ stars.

We rented...

Sky High. It's cute. Nothing to rave about but not horrible for the grown ups in attendance. Pretty good cast. My favorite thing about the movie was that Linda Carter is the Principal of Sky High. And she has a great throwaway line at the end of the film.... 2½ Stars

Madagascar. Again, cute. Hubby enjoyed the movie a great deal more than I did, actually. The penguins absolutely steal the show with their kung foo ninja moves and acerbic wit. There is some definite adult humor in more than a few places to help out with the perennial cheesyness. Dreamworks animation doesn't hold a candle to Pixar though. So there's that. 3 Stars.

The Fantastic Four. Not as good as Spiderman 1 or 2 or either of the X-Men films but it was reasonably entertaining. Watching Michael Chiklis as the Thing is the best part of the entire film. The effects were okay but the story and dialogue plodded along at times. I'm glad we didn't pay to see it in the theater. 3 Stars.

And finally March of the Penguins. Black and white. Cold, cold, cold. Penguins. Occasional swimming.... Okay.... I have a confession to make. I couldn't watch it. It was bleak and desolate in scope and living in Wisconsin I do not need to watch vast snowy landscape on TV. As much as I normally love Morgan Freeman, his narration made me want to go to sleep. Speaking of sleep -- the girls ended up taking this movie upstairs with them and it put them right to bed. So in that way I can say it was a good movie! Zero Stars.

So there you have it. Much happier viewing choices than Armageddon Week if nothing else....