My occasionally snarky thoughts on everything from motherhood, politics, life and current events. Cocktails are sometimes mandatory. Bottoms up!

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Waiting on the phone to ring.....

.....while twisting yourself in knots.

I seem to be doing a lot of that these days. Wound so tight sometimes that I don't even really feel the tight bands of anxiousness until I consciously will myself to relax. Then and only then do I feel the immense pressure.

Or so I think.

Hell, I've probably shrunk a couple of inches just by unconsciously trying to cope. Ugh.

So what do you do to try and relax?? (And yes - this is a bit related the my earlier stress post).

I've tried to regulate and deepen my breathing.

To concentrate on lengthening my spine.

To laugh more (I am working on a Moose Chalupa post inspired by Harvey - who always makes me laugh... And if you're not reading Boobs, Injuries and Dr. Pepper you should be. Heh.)

I've had wine.

I am re-reading Harry Potter 6.

I am really trying....

But a lot of the time I feel like I have a giant rock on my chest. The other day I had the whole "tight bands with shooting pain" combination for about 4 minutes that I did lamaze breathing (transition) through while stage whispering:

"Shhhh, honey." pant-pant-pant-pant-pant "Stop talking to Mommy. Just shut up for a minute." pant-pant-pant-pant-pant-pant "You have to shut up now...." pant-pant-pant-pant-pant-pant-pant "Mommy is going to be fine if you will just stop asking questions....." pant-pant-pant-pant-pant "Shhhhhhhhut up - please, Honey!" pant-pant-pant-pant "Shhhhhh....."
To K. (While she performed her *own* little Chinese fire drill). Lovely. Dying* words to my eldest daughter? "Shut up, please." Nice. I'll expect my Mother-of-the-Year award in the mail shortly. (Not.) But at least I said please, I guess.

*And for the record, I *know* I wasn't dying. I am 35 for heaven's sake and perfectly healthy. It was just a reaction to stress I think. And maybe a taco I had for lunch.

And here I sit. Waiting for another call. Harry Potter open in front of me and cocktail hour just 3 hours away. That should be working.... But in case I've missed something, any suggestions?