My occasionally snarky thoughts on everything from motherhood, politics, life and current events. Cocktails are sometimes mandatory. Bottoms up!

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Book Meme

I was tagged ages ago by CalTechGirl - time I got it done, don't you think??

---------------------------

What are you reading right now?

At the moment? Nothing. But I just finished Hide by Lisa Gardner. It was pretty good...

Do you have any idea what you'll read when you'e done with that?

No clue. I may decide to re-read Harry Potter 7.

What magazines do you have in your bathroom right now?

Magazines? Uh... No magazines. I have hand held Yahtzee and poker games though. Does that count?

What's the worst thing you were ever forced to read?

Forced to read?? Hmmmm.... Well, I forced myself to get through Slaughterhouse Five (Vonnegut) and The Shipping News ( Annie Proulx) I'll never get those hours back again. Gah...


What's the one book you always recommend to just about everyone?

Oh boy - now, keep in mind I read for fun - I'm not all into pretentious authors or novels. I want a great ride and some characters I can laugh with and relate to. So I would say:
The Godfather (one of my all time faves),
Odd Thomas (all of 'em),
Anything by Lee Child (Jack Reacher kicks some serious ass - love him.)
The Stephanie Plumb series by Janet Evanovich.
The Harry Potter books
The Stand by Stephen King

Admit it, the librarians at your library know you on a first name basis, don't they?

They used to - but I have been too busy to even darken the door of the library for 6 months or more. Thank God for Amazon.com.

Is there a book you absolutely love, but for some reason, people never think it sounds interesting, or maybe they read it and don't like it at all?

I don't know - I am not all that worried what other people think about my reading habits. And like I said - I read for pleasure. Of course I think *everybody* would like something I would suggest!

Do you read books while you eat? While you bathe? While you watch movies or TV? While you listen to music? While you're on the computer? While you're having sex? While you're driving?

I am totally stealing CTG's answer here -->That would be: Yes, Yes, Sometimes, Often, Occasionally (usually this has to do with work), NEVER (that would be rude), and ABSOLUTELY not (UNSAFE, hello!!!)

When you were little, did other children tease you about your reading habits?

Of course! Which only made me read more. Books were my friends when I was a kid. My escape, my entertainment, my world. To this day I have a great relationship with my books. (Though I can't for the life of me get the girls interested in reading any of my old Nancy Drews, dang it....)

What's the last thing you stayed up half the night reading because it was so good you couldn't put it down?

Harry Potter 7 - like you didn't already know that...

And via Cal Tech Girl: I've thought of some other book questions for you all:

What book have you stayed up all night NOT reading (because it disturbed you in some way)? Has a book ever entered your dreams?

Slaughterhouse Five - some of that imagery will *not* go away.

What book/ series would you like to write an ending too? Or rewrite? I'm not strictly talking about fanfic, just this: given the opportunity, which stories would you like to work on?

Harry Potter is the easy answer. Otherwise, I just don't know. Finishing someone *elses* work just doesn't sit well with me. I would be better off writing my own book.

Best book to movie transition? And as a corollary, what books should NEVER be a movie?

You know, for the *best* book to movie transition, The Godfather was pretty good. Though you can never match the richness and detail that you get from a book with a movie. I would like to see the Stephanie Plumb series made into a couple of movies as well, provided they were cast correctly.

And which should NEVER be made into a movie?? Well, you know they made The Shipping News into a movie. Boring assed book = boring assed movie. What a waste.

Do you prefer one-off novels or character-driven series books? What's your favorite book series?

Answering the first question - yes!

Favorite book series?? Easy. I'll list them author/character:
Lee Child/Jack Reacher
Janet Evonovich/Stephanie Plumb
J.K. Rowling/Harry Potter
Dean Koontz/ Odd Thomas

Which book character do you see yourself as most like? How about when you were a kid?
Now? Probably Professor McGonagall
As a kid?? Nancy Drew. Definitely.

Ever NOT want to finish a book because you were desperately afraid that the author was going to take it somewhere you didn't like? Ever fling a book at the wall because that happened?

I was a teeny worried that the Harry Potter series would end in a way I wouldn't be happy with - and that it would ruin the books for me. Thankfully, that didn't happen. And no - book flinging is a sin.

----------------------

So there you have it! The book meme is complete! I don't think I will tag anybody - but I will say that it's a fun one to do! If you decide to play, leave me a comment or a trackback so I can check out your answers.

And hey - anybody have an author or book they'd like to recommend?? I am due for some new material. And some time to read would be nice. :^)