My occasionally snarky thoughts on everything from motherhood, politics, life and current events. Cocktails are sometimes mandatory. Bottoms up!

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Thanks! But no thanks...

They like me! They really like me!

So the other day at work, the Lead Quality Assurance lady was making her rounds.

"Hey Rich!" says she, "Why don't you make the move to QA and work full time??"

"What do you mean?" I asked. "Are you retiring or something??"

"No..." the lead QA lady continued. "But we really need to fill a QA position on nights. That other gal I was training just quit. Doesn't want to work Fridays.* And you'd be terrific!"

"Uhhhh... No. I don't think so. But thanks for thinking of me!"

"No really, Rich. You'd be perfect for the job. Will you at least consider it??"

And she left to continue her rounds.

Me being me, I actually gave it some serious thought. After all, they were asking me. Asking me for help! They NEED me!!! (I am such a sucker for that, and I have a strong work ethic. If they ask, you should do it. Right?)

Then my intelligent inner voice kicked in...

"Good grief, are you kidding??? How the hell would this work?!?! 4:00 pm to 2:00 am?? Are you crazy? Been there, done that, Sweetheart. And you're not 22 anymore either! When would you see the girls?? Huh?? Hello! They are in school all day! What about after school?? Dinner?? Homework?? Hugs and stories and soccer practice?? Any of this ringing a bell??? And who would be there to care for them when WxMan is working late like he does 4 nights a week. What then???

You already have a full time job. You're moonlighting as it is...


Oh... Right.

So when the Lead QA lady came back and asked, I politely declined.

I already have a full time job... (But it WAS nice to be asked.)

*Technically where I work it is supposed to be a four day work week with "fulltimers" working 10 hour days. They have been working "mandatory production Fridays" for well over a year now - they just fail to mention that fact when they hire you...