My occasionally snarky thoughts on everything from motherhood, politics, life and current events. Cocktails are sometimes mandatory. Bottoms up!

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Reading blogs can improve your grades!

Who knew? From the comments:

Hey, I know you prolly have no clue who I am but I just wanted to let you know that my high school chemistry teacher uses the same trivia questions you use as our extra credit questions daily. I get all my answers from your blog, and it's helping me pass this class just with the extra credit points!!! Just wanted to let you know how cool your blog is and that I've found every single extra credit question (including the one on today's blog) on the board in his class. Thanks a billion for the trivia questions!
--Rebecca L
See? My discount MENSA calendar is doing more good that I ever could have imagined! It all started so I could help y'all waste time at work get the old brain cells revved up (thereby increasing productivity) and now it's helping Rebecca improve her chemistry grades! [Make sure you are learning the chemistry too though, okay Rebecca? :-) ]

Somehow, in all of my "behindness" I am also a day behind on the calendar. So today I will post the Valentiney puzzler from yesterday and post today's as well. Two times the fun!

So, without further ado, here is the brain bender for today:
---------------------

George went to the store to buy some supplies. He spent half the original amount plus $8 for pens, half of that was left plus $2 for paper, then half of what was left and $1 for a clipboard, leaving him with $4. How much did he start with?

-----------------------

And from yesterday:

For Valentine's Day, there was a contest to guess the number of candy hearts in a jar. Barbara guessed 129, Betty guessed 138, Tom guessed 133 and Gary guessed 135. One was correct, one was off by 6, one was off by 2and one was off by 3.

How many candy hearts were in the jar?

-----------------------

Answers, as always, to follow in the comments. [ Though I do call BS on somebody guessing the correct amount in the jar -- nobody ever guesses right on those things. Especially when there are only 4 freekin' people playing! Sheesh! ]

Update: Today's winners are jvh from Showcase of a Shattered Mind and Bigdocmcd! :) Whoohoo!