My occasionally snarky thoughts on everything from motherhood, politics, life and current events. Cocktails are sometimes mandatory. Bottoms up!

Friday, February 10, 2006

Friday...

Something I just realized. For the first time in a decade for me it's Friday. Meaning, the fact that it's Friday means something to me. In the past, Friday has meant something for the other people in my household while my schedule remained much the same... Not so this week... Huh.

Something else. Today, A. (youngest) had her program at school. I watched as after all the kids filed in and took their places on the risers she scanned the crowd for me. Not seeing me right away, her mouth formed a perfect oval and her eyes and expression grew more and more frantic as she searched. (I was doing everything to get her attention [short of jumping up and flapping my arms] but to no avail -- even my friend Nancy next to me tried to help...)

When at last she saw me (giving her a big smile and a thumbs up) she started to cry. Not horrible sobbing, mind you. But she had to wipe her eyes through the first 3 songs...

"What's wrong do you 'spoze?" asked Nancy.
"Just relieved, I imagine..." I answered. (Trying to figure out what I had done wrong while I sent big beaming smiles to my youngest daughter
Afterwards, I asked A. What had upset her so? (I was afraid that it was because I had not brought the video camera or something -- the school sells DVDs now). She answered,

"Well, when I just couldn't find you in the audience I was afraid that you had gone to work and forgotten all about my program.... I was glad to see you when I did."
Holy crap. Can I get a side of unwarranted guilt with some guilt sauce to go with my guilt entree?? Good grief. The program was wonderful, though -- kitschy and cute. Just what a mom needs to go with her big guilt dinner....

Ah well, at least it's Friday...