My occasionally snarky thoughts on everything from motherhood, politics, life and current events. Cocktails are sometimes mandatory. Bottoms up!

Monday, August 01, 2005

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

"Voldemort himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!" --Albus Dumbledore
{{The following contains SPOILERS!}} Harry Potter 6 is, IMO, the best of the series so far. Harry has matured and is finally *ready* to face his destiny. Blogcritics has a great review here. Excerpt:
Learning about his enemy, Potter begins to piece together the puzzle that is Voldemort. Potter realizes that evil is chosen but so is good. While Dumbledore explains that Potter can choose his course of action, this is not really true. Voldemort has already chosen for the both of them the final course of action.

Rowling's point is that evil is a choice but it is also shown that when evil is chosen by one, it leaves others with no choice but to resist. Potter can't really choose not to resist Voldemort since Voldemort's goal is to pursue and kill Potter. For Voldemort, Potter must be killed or Voldemort's goal of control of the wizard world will remain threatened.


There are so many things I loved about this book and where the characters are headed. I love that Ron and Hermione are finally figuring out that they are perfect for eachother. I love that Harry hooked up with Ginny. I love that Harry is finally grown up and will have no need for the Dursley's after his final visit. Great stuff. And that's just the interpersonal aspects of the book -- the story and the magic and the adventure make it a terrific read!

There is a lot that has been alluded to that I think is coming.....

**Surely Dumbledore had a Last Will and Testament -- I am curious to see what he bequeaths to Harry. Dumbledore obviously has a plan in place to help Harry (and always has). My bet is on Gryffindor's Sword and possibly Fawks the phoenix.

**I think that Harry himself is (or was) one of the Horcruxes. Remember -- it was Harry's blood used when Voldemort "regained his body" at the end of book 4. Did he also reclaim his bit of soul that imparted to Harry when Harry survived Avada Kedavra curse as a baby? If nothing else, I think that Harry's scar marks him as a horcrux and is part of the reason that Harry has been able to see/feel what Voldemort is seeing/feeling in the past.

**I think that Ginny will find a way to remain in Harry's life and help him on his quest to hunt and kill Voldemort. That girl is tough and determined and, let's face it -- Harry is going to need all the help he can get.

**I think that Harry already owns one of the other horcruxs mentioned. In book 5 while de-lousing Sirius' house Harry Ron and Hermione come across "a heavy locket that none of them could open" (p. 116). Harry is now the sole owner of 12 Grimmauld Place and all that is there as it was left to him by Sirius. And I think the RAB that left the note in the faux horcrux that Harry and Dumbledore recovered is Sirius' brother Regulus.

**I *still* don't like Snape but I am not convinced that he is a bad guy -- I think that he and Dumbledore cooked up the whole "Snape kills Dumbledore" thing and that Dumbledore is not dead. And I think that this is why Snape freaks out on Harry with the "DON'T CALL ME COWARD!!!" (p. 604) bit as he is racing away from the castle -- Snape knew that not only was he headed straight for the lion's den (Voldemort) but that the entire wizarding world would be hunting him because of Dumbledore's "murder". I thought this before I read the website Dumbledore is not Dead -- and there you will find many clues that Dumbledore will be making a return. I do hope so anyway.

**I think that it is going to be a loooong wait for book 7. My bet is summer 2007. And yes, I'll line up with all of the other HP dorks to see how it ends. :-)

...thanks Mom for finishing the book so I could post this!!!! :-)

Update: Sarah K of Mountineer Musings has a great HP 6 post here.....

Update 2: If you ever wondered what Dobby does with his "free" time the hilarious answer is here! Heh! Thanks Hubris!