My occasionally snarky thoughts on everything from motherhood, politics, life and current events. Cocktails are sometimes mandatory. Bottoms up!

Friday, September 24, 2010

Sixteen...

Sixteen years ago today I got married. It was a fun day filled with hope and promise. Much laughter and many friends and beloved family... And good bad or indifferent, I had *really* big hair. (Photo proof here - lol)

And about an hour ago I signed off on all of the paperwork and filed for divorce.**

And while there are many valid and painful reasons for my decision - I will not be airing them here. There is no reason to. Just trust me when I say this is the right decision for all involved. And I have received MANY signs that I am on the correct path...

There simply comes a time to stand up, dust yourself off, square your shoulders and get on with it. Or as Pop would often say... "Rich, suck it up. Get tough." So that's what I am going to do. We have agreed to be amicable, and hopefully all will go smoothly. Though I have retained a savvy lawyer. Seemed like the smart thing to do all things considered...

I have a pretty good plan in place I think, and during the times that I am not just feeling completely overwhelmed by the enormity of the undertaking (and the paperwork - my GOD! The paperwork!) and thinking about all of the details that need to be resolved and covered I am actually pretty excited about the future. Or as it was best said in Armageddon... "I am 98% excited and 2% scared... Or maybe it's 98% scared and 2% excited... It's hard to tell."

So that's what I am doing today. Also going to go out for drinks with a few of my good girlfriends tonight. I need to laugh, and I am lucky to have some really sassy, brave, witty women in my posse...

And one day this will all be okay.

**The paperwork just happened to be done today. When the paralegal called she asked if I would prefer to come in next week since it was my anniversary today. I told her no. As Pop also used to say, "You either get busy livin' or you get busy dyin'... Make a choice."