My occasionally snarky thoughts on everything from motherhood, politics, life and current events. Cocktails are sometimes mandatory. Bottoms up!

Thursday, January 25, 2007

They think I'm weird...

...I can just tell.

See, I like to help out when I can. I do!

Basically it's *what* I do... Always have. Probably always will. I don't know how to BE in the world any other way.

But some folks think it's weird.

Even the ones that do the same thing themselves...

This week we had a long-time member of our church die. Not entirely unusual, he had been ill for some time and was visibly declining, but still. I got the email from the pastor to see to it that the rest of the "online" congregation heard the news - I'm the Newsletter Editor and I have the email list "ready to go" so to speak.

So no problem, I sent out the word about funeral arrangements. Later I sent out the call for folks to help out with items for a luncheon and reception for the bereaved. No.Big.Deal. Then I made my own call... To donate some bar cookies for the reception and help out with the clean up and what-not after the service.

Coordinator Lady: But Richmond, aren't you already hosting coffee hour on Sunday?

Me: Well, yes - but I'm happy to bring in some cookies too.

C.L. And didn't I see you on the schedule to help out with Monday's community dinner?

Me: Uh huh. And the baby shower St. _____'s is hosting on Sunday as well. I'm happy to help. And there's a LOT going on this week...

C.L. There sure is... And we're glad to have you. Thanks.

Throughout the conversation she just kept sounding more and more surprised - and it's not because doing this kind of stuff is out of the norm for me... I have been available to help out many times in the past. In my mind, it's what people do. Heck, it's what she does too.

It's just this week there is a LOT going on - that's all.

'Course maybe I am weird....

Weird is okay.