My occasionally snarky thoughts on everything from motherhood, politics, life and current events. Cocktails are sometimes mandatory. Bottoms up!

Monday, October 31, 2005

When the embrace of multiculturalism goes too far.....

Police told to respect traditions

POLICE [in Australia] are being advised to treat Muslim domestic violence cases differently out of respect for Islamic traditions and habits.

Officers are also being urged to work with Muslim leaders, who will try to keep the families together. Women's groups are concerned the politically correct policing could give comfort to wife bashers and keep their victims in a cycle of violence.
[Gee.... ya think?]

The instructions come in a religious diversity handbook given to Victorian police officers that also recommends special treatment for suspects of Aboriginal, Hindu and Buddhist background.

You have got to be effin' kidding me! Soon they will try to tell me that so called "honor killings" aren't really murder because in *their* culture she had it coming. Good grief! I'm all for being respectful of another persons beliefs, right up until their beliefs include beating (or mutilating, or murdering) other people. I don't care if it *is* a part of their culture. I guess I'm just intolerant that way.....