My occasionally snarky thoughts on everything from motherhood, politics, life and current events. Cocktails are sometimes mandatory. Bottoms up!

Sunday, June 19, 2005

I just don't get it....

...no I really don't.

I probably spent 10,000+ hours of my youth here.

That little chicky is sitting near the 1 meter board looking toward the office. I know *exactly* what it smells like there and what all of those little tiles (that she is sitting on) feel like. I cried there, won there, lost there, grew there, loved there, puked there, worked there, hurt there, believed in myself there, and achieved the impossible there. That place forged a huge part of who I am today. Work ethic. Belief in self and others. Teamwork. The belief that regardless of physical abilities a person could achieve anything through hard work and perseverance.

I lost my innocence there as well.... {though not in *that* way you pervs ;) } My beloved coach, Coach O, the man that I would have walked over fire for... (I swam a State Meet final once for him/the team with cracked ribs, stitches in my face and a sprained ankle -- I had to be helped to and from the starting blocks -- He asked me to... We needed the team points... And I would probably do it again...) Anyway, *my* coach left the team -- hell, left the STATE to be with the woman he loved and pursue a different career. I wasn't the only one who was pained by his perceived abandonment.

Then, I hated him. I was soooooo angry. Later I learned that people leave -- and it *often* has nothing to do with you. People have other lives, other ties that have *nothing* to do with you. It's okay, but you have to be careful who you cast your TOTAL loyalty with. Be cautious with whom you decide to *trust* or *follow* completely. That lesson has served me well in the 20+ years since. Now, I often think of Coach O. fondly and wonder if he and his wife are happy (she had the most arresting yellow eyes and was very pretty) ? Did they have kids? Etc....

I have a sense that he was not happy with the way he *left* us either. His community ties were deep at that time but once gone no-one heard from him again. Anyway, I digress....

This pool issue in my hometown has been going on for some time now. I think it would be TRAGIC for the community to loose this asset. I don't care [well, maybe a little -- ed.] if they tear down the old pool but this mental masturbation over weather it is earthquake proof is just STUPID! There hasn't been an earthquake there in 50 years! And even if -- the odds that an earthquake would be strong enough there (this is *not* California, mind you) are slim. C'mon people. Enough. It is a perfectly fine pool. There is *no* reason to tear it down and go without!! I hate when government regulations take over common sense.....