My occasionally snarky thoughts on everything from motherhood, politics, life and current events. Cocktails are sometimes mandatory. Bottoms up!

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

First Day of Summer

...and it's going to kick the door down and have a seat

It's supposed to get hot today. 89 degrees and sunny. I always love the first couple of *hot* days. :-) Summer always brings back such good memories of childhood -- and the girls go barefoot and eat popsicles and play outside until late in the evening because it stays light out so long.

Not to long after the Fourth of July, though, I am *over* the heat. (Much in the same way I am *over* the snow and cold after January 1st -- it's no longer festive so IMO it should just do the honorable thing and give way to spring! It never does, though. *sigh*) I was never very good at living in the southern part of the US because of the weather patterns. The hot shows up in March and stays until October (give or take a couple of weeks) and I never got used to the heat maintaining itself after dark. Even after years of living in Oklahoma and Florida I would catch myself thinking "Oh good it's dark -- it will be much cooler out now!" Only to get hit in the face with steamy humidity once out the door.

We are trying to make some plans for the summer. Hubby really wants to make the drive up to Glacier National Park maybe spending a night on the Canadian side and seeing friends along the way. The Going to the Sun Road has some of the most amazing vistas I have ever seen -- and I am not easily impressed with mountain views having grown up with them. There are beautiful places to camp and stay and the lakes are deep, clear and gorgeous. The only difficulty is trying to find a way to balance the fun with all of the driving involved (for the girls anyway). I think it may be a bit much to take on over a 10 day period. Either way, it will be great to get to spend some time in the mountains. I'd like to find a way to incorporate Yellowstone National Park too and maybe spend a couple of nights just north of the park in SilverGate Montana . They have great little cabins there and years ago the Log Cabin Cafe served the most amazing pumpkin bread for breakfast. Yummmmm -- pumpkin bread. :-) Leave it to me to think of the food......

Anyway, happy first day of summer!