My occasionally snarky thoughts on everything from motherhood, politics, life and current events. Cocktails are sometimes mandatory. Bottoms up!

Friday, August 03, 2007

New digs, fresh start, and the past came knocking....

But you know? After the initial shock - it was all good.

I think we all can agree that the interwebs can be an interesting place - You never know what you are going to get. Or find. Learn. Or wish you could un-see. (And yes, I am looking at you T1G and you too Contagion.) But I digress...

What seems like ages ago, I wrote a post about my experiences working the graveyard shift at a Mini Mart. Basically the whole post was a way to tell a story about the best way I *ever* got asked out on a date...


There was this guy that would come in on Friday or Saturday nights. Completely unremarkable except for the fact that it was always like 3am and he was always sober. After long lines of drunk people cross your path, the sober ones stand out, I'm tellin' ya...

He was maybe 5'10" blondish, glasses, medium build. Generally pleasant. Fairly nice looking. A nice guy. And one night, right after he paid for his skittles and coke he pulled from his pocket a gift. And laid on the counter a cassette wrapped in a single page of hand written sheet music.

"Here." He said "I wrote this for you."

Then he left.

And damned if he hadn't written me a song. No singing, mind you. Turns out he was a pianist, studying for a music degree at MSU. He had written me a song and recorded it for me.* (This was above and beyond -- there was no casual CD burning in 1990.) So, after listening to that fine piece of music and getting advice from all of my friends (can you imagine the oooohing and awwwwing over *that* ladies?) well, what is a girl to do?

The next weekend when he came in, he asked me out.

And I said okay.

There's no happy ending here. I have no idea where he is today. But I can say that that was far and away the best "date askin" I ever got. Really, bar none.


So as I was rushing around this week (you know, I've been a tad busy...) I took a minute to check my One for the Road email account. And lo and behold I had this in my inbox...

Thu, 26 Jul 2007 02:26:19 -0500
From: "Jonathon Wilson"
To:
Onefortheroad13@yahoo.com
Subject: Mini-mart Princess

Hiya :)

You're never going to believe this, but this is Jonathon Wilson. The guy that wrote you that song in Mini-Mart. Yeah -- like 10,000 days ago.

For some reason, I was missing the old 'Loose Tubes' days and did a search for them -- and up pops your blog entry! HA! What a nice surprise.

Sounds like you have a happy adult life, just like me -- I'm very happily married with three kids. I live down in sunny TX. Life is incredibly good and happy for me.

Drop a line sometime...

-Jonathon

You could have knocked me over with a feather.... Wow.

And he left a darn nice comment on the post to boot. After several email exchanges it sounds as though life is good and he is *still* a nice guy. No surprise there...

So Hiya back, Jonathon! Nice of you to drop me a line! It's nice to know that the nice guys win a few too...

And hey, I found that sheet music if you'd like to have it. As I recall, it was a fine piece of work.

Thanks.