My occasionally snarky thoughts on everything from motherhood, politics, life and current events. Cocktails are sometimes mandatory. Bottoms up!

Monday, September 11, 2006

September 11th


For me it is a time of reflection and remembrance.

And sadness.

Anger.

Resolve.

Determination.

Fear.

Hope.

And I do not think I am alone in those feelings. Though I did not *personally* lose anyone that day (and my heart breaks for those who did...) it fundamentally changed me in a way that I never could have predicted.

The only thing I can come close to comparing it to, was the change that I underwent after the birth of my eldest daughter. For as much as I was afraid that my maternal instincts might never kick in, the minute the nurses handed K. to me, a switch was flipped and my fate was sealed.

I went from being a non-mom to MOTHER.

*snap*

That quick.

The events of September 11, 2001 changed me fully as well. I had always considered myself to be a patriot, but that day *snap* I became a PATRIOT.

Today is September 11th. And I know there will be many commemorative events held. Remember we shall, even if it pains us. For in forgetting the pain and surprise of that day, lies the horror of having to repeat the history. And that I cannot abide.

Recently I read a post that touched me like no other. Michele from Letters From NYC wrote about two of her friends lost that day. If you read / do / see nothing else, you should read this post today. Breaths. And remember the courage of those lost and the courage of those left behind.

Also, Project 2996 was launched. To remember *all* of the lives lost that day. I did not sign up to participate. I was intimidated by the enormity of the task. Fortunately, many others took up the challenge...

For every person, there was a story, a family, a life. It will do us well to hold these people in our thoughts and prayers as well. I am going to attempt to list some of the people that *I* know that are participating in this most worthy tribute... God Bless you all.

Army Wife Toddler Mom - Ramzi Doany

That 1 Guy - Rahma Salie

Boudicca's Voice - Don Simmons

Blackfive - Matthew Lancelot Ryan

Letters From NYC - Allison Horstmann-Jones

House of Zathras - Maria Jakubiak

Technicalities - Carol K. Demitz

Pereiraville - Joseph A. LaFalce

The Conservative UAW Guy - Sarah Khan

A Swift Kick & A Band-Aid - Philip L. Parker

Blog d'Elisson - Lt. Geoffrey Guja

Blonde Sagacity - Lorraine Bay

When The Smoke Clears - Isidro Ottenwalder

Straight White Guy - Calvin Dawson

Alabama Improper - Kirsten L. Christophe

Postcards from NYC - Lawrence "Larry" Virgilio

Neo Neocon - Glenn Wilkinson

Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord,
And let perpetual light shine upon them.
May they rest in peace.
Amen.

I will be updating this list through out the day. May God bless and keep us all...