My occasionally snarky thoughts on everything from motherhood, politics, life and current events. Cocktails are sometimes mandatory. Bottoms up!

Friday, May 19, 2006

One more day on the planet for me...

Nothing like a near death experience first thing in the morning to get the old juices flowing...

So on my way into work this morning, I was stopped at the one big intersection I have to go through, waiting for the light to change. Thinking about the day ahead, getting my game plan layed out, searching for a good song on the radio, sip of diet coke... The usual.

Light turns green, I start on my way and just happened to see the ginormous green Semi bearing down on me from the west. Instinctively, I stopped, about a third of the way through the intersection (as did the other guy across from me headed North) and we watched as the Semi locked up it's breaks sliding and literally smoking through the red light going 50+ mph. He finally came to a stop about 100 feet past the intersection. Then continued on.

Whew! Okay!! Let's back up. Wait for the next green light (the red had changed by then) and continue on our way. Just a little more grateful than we were just 4 minutes earlier. Or a lot. Holy crap.

The really good news?? (Aside from not being t-boned and FUBAR this morning...) The more I thought about it, and the more I thought about the fact that I could have been killed the calmer I got.**

You know, with the exception of just not being ready to leave my girls, or my hubby, and generally not wanting to die, it wasn't like I suddenly thought:
"My life is all wrong! I haven't done ____. Or seen ____. Or experienced _______. I can't die yet!!!" Nor did I think, "I've missed my chance at true happiness! I'm with the wrong man! I should have done everything differently!"
Nope, none of that. So I guess my life is okay. And I'm on the right path. And that's good to know, right?

Still, remember Kids... Wear your seatbelt and look both ways. Sometimes there is a ginormous green Semi bearing down from the West....

**Note to God: Do not under any circumstances think that I am even remotely ready or wanting to come for a visit, meet and greet, grip and grin, or to talk to St. Peter at the Pearly Gates. Hmmmmkay?? I am not ready yet. And thanks for the good breaks/reflexes this morning. They came in handy...