My occasionally snarky thoughts on everything from motherhood, politics, life and current events. Cocktails are sometimes mandatory. Bottoms up!

Monday, April 17, 2006

Monday...

After a perfect weekend.

Good friends, tons of fun, excellent food, and it rained the day after the big party. It just doesn't get any better than that. Well, not without a winning lotto ticket anyway.

Last week as I was working my ass off preparing for Saturday's Easter party, I began to wonder why the heck I do this stuff to myself? I mean, it's a lot of time, energy, preparation, well.... work! Then I saw one of the little kids that was going to be attending Saturday's festivities at youngest's soccer practice...
"Hey, I hear you're coming to my house on Saturday..." I said. "You ready to have some fun??"

"I am?" she replied. Then eye's getting wide, "Oooohhh is this gonna be the big Easter thing like last year??? 'Cuz that was awesome!!!"

Oh. That's why.

And this year was awesome too. For one thing, the weather was gorgeous - 75 and sunny. 400 eggs were hidden and everybody got their fill of lemonade and prizes. We had all sorts of yummy picnic food and grown-ups had an opportunity to just hang out and relax and visit for a change. It was nice.

The scavenger hunt clues were just hard enough to keep the big boys on their toes and the little kids involved, and we had a huge game of "kick/dodgeball" to round out the afternoon. Nobody got hurt, and we all had fun. Like I said, perfect.

Yesterday it thunderstormed all day, which was really pretty fine by me. We went to services** in the morning, and got home just in time to read the paper and prepare for more friends to arrive for dinner. Steaks and asparagus on the grill, yummy garlic bread, and hot artichoke dip to get us all started.

The girls hunted for their baskets, and though the magic of the Easter Bunny is gone, the fun of having to look for goodies remains. Let's face it, the thought of a giant egg hiding rabbit breaking into your house every year can be a bit disconcerting anyway...

All in all, I really couldn't ask for better. And I don't think I'll try. Well, not without a winning lotto ticket....

**About the service. Guys, you had me right up until the "interpretive dance" segment. Really. I guess I am a little more conservative when it comes to my worship style than I thought....