My occasionally snarky thoughts on everything from motherhood, politics, life and current events. Cocktails are sometimes mandatory. Bottoms up!

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Feta Summer Salad

This is a salad I make whenever we have a big potluck to go to or are entertaining a bunch of guests in the summer time. (Since there is no mayonnaise, I don't have to worry about inadvertently "poisoning" anybody.)

You will want to make it up at least 3 hours ahead of time (so the flavors have a chance to mature and get happy) and after a day or two of marinating it is really, really good...

The recipe that follows is for a reasonable amount (like say 10-14 servings).

Feta Summer Salad

One head broccoli
One head cauliflower
16 oz grape tomatoes
14 oz can of pitted black olives
4 oz Crumbled Feta cheese
½ C. Fat Free Italian Dressing**
(pick your favorite)
(Picture by Richmond -- looks good enough to eat! And I did!)

Wash broccoli and cauliflower well, and cut into bite sized florettes. In a large salad bowl, combine broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes, drained olives, Feta cheese and dressing. Toss to combine. Chill for at least a couple of hours and Enjoy!

**This time I didn't have any black olives so I substituted "caesar/parmesan" burgundy olives and they were fabulous. Also I used "sundried tomato/basil" feta cheese and Kraft fat free caesar dressing. I never measure the dressing so the ½ C. is an estimate. The amount of dressing you use varies according to how much salad you are making. (You just don't want the yummy veggies drowning in it. Use your best judgement.)

And just for the record, I have thought about adding maybe half a cup of thinly sliced purple onion, or maybe some artichoke hearts. I think they would be wonderful additions to an already great salad.