My occasionally snarky thoughts on everything from motherhood, politics, life and current events. Cocktails are sometimes mandatory. Bottoms up!

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Tipping

No, not "over" (though I have been known to do that too) this time I am talking about tipping the pizza guy.

In a restaurant or bar situation I have my tipping strategy down.

Piss me off or do a really, really crappy job -- 10-15%.

Do an okay job 18%.

Do a good job (extra napkins + timely service) 20%.

Really outdo yourself (without being annoying) 25%.

Usually, I end up tipping at or just over 20% because most servers try to do a good job (and succeed). That, and I worked in service industries long enough to not hold it against someone who is "in the weeds" having just got triple sat with 6 tops. Just sayin'. If you're trying you're going to get 20%.

Anyway, the question is how much to tip the pizza guy? My philosophy is "a couple bucks and change" since the pizza guy is *not* going to serve me or clean up after dinner or anything. He's a "take this food item from point A to point B guy" and a couple bucks and change is generally about 10% of the total. (I will tip more for really bad weather like when it's 20 below and there is a chance that the pizza or pizza guy could freeze going from the car to your door....) But otherwise it's a couple of dollars and change.

Hubby, on the other hand, thinks it should be 15-20% of the total -- just like restaurant tipping. I am of the mind that 20% is a bit too generous....

So who's right? How much do you tip?