My occasionally snarky thoughts on everything from motherhood, politics, life and current events. Cocktails are sometimes mandatory. Bottoms up!

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

It's a Mom thing

...or maybe not.......

K lost a tooth today. She is almost 9 and lost one of her molars while enjoying a bowl of popcorn. After she got over freaking out that she was losing a molar,

"But Mom! Molars are supposed to be permanent!!"
She handed the tooth to me and smiled, "Wow Mommy, that was the easiest one ever! Do I still get $2?" (The Toothfairy was outed last summer -- now they just want the cash.)

So here comes the *or maybe not* part of the the Mom thing -- I have a bit of a confession to make. I don't save the girls' baby teeth. I think it's a little icky and never really saw the point so I have just not been diligent in saving them. I have actually been known to throw them away...

Is there some kind of mommy test I am going to fail in 20 or 30 years? When I cannot produce a sack of carefully saved and labeled baby teeth for each of my girls? Is there a prize that I am denying them by *not* saving their little bits of enamel? Will they feel less loved than their peers?? I hope not, but on days like today when I get handed a popcorny slobbery tooth and my first instinct is to pitch it....I wonder......

**And just for the record -- my Mother is probably horrified. She saved all of my brother's baby teeth and mine (and enough locks of hair for a wig). I am an anomaly. I think.