My occasionally snarky thoughts on everything from motherhood, politics, life and current events. Cocktails are sometimes mandatory. Bottoms up!

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Honor Their Memories

I have not written anything about Cindy Sheehan mostly because I disagree with her political position so completely and felt that there was really nothing for me to add. As a mother my heart breaks for her loss, as a supporter of our president and the mission I am continually shocked by some of the beliefs she holds. It is her right to speak out in any way she sees fit.

But with all of the coverage she has been receiving I have been frustrated -- weren't there any other voices to be heard? Must we always have to listen to rants about the current administrations mistakes and "lies?" And then today I read this. A Gold Star father talking about honoring *his* son's memory.

I grieve with Mrs. Sheehan, for all too well I know the full measure of the agony she is forever going to endure. I honor her son for his service and sacrifice. However, I abhor all that she represents and those who would cast her as the symbol for parents of our fallen soldiers.

Thirty-five years ago, a president faced a similar dilemma in Vietnam. He gave in and we got "peace with honor." To this day, I am still searching for that honor. Today, those who defend our freedom every day do so as volunteers with a clear and certain purpose. Today, they have in their commander in chief someone who will not allow us to sink into self-pity. I will not allow him to. The amazing part about talking to the people left behind is that I did not want them to stop. After speaking to so many I have come away with the certainty of their conviction that in a large measure it's because of the deeds and sacrifices of their fallen heroes that this is a better and safer world we now live in.

Those who lost their lives believed in the mission. To honor their memory, and because it's right, we must believe in the mission, too.

It is a moving tribute to all who have lost. Go read the whole thing. And thank you Mr. Griffin. I am so very sorry for your loss.