My occasionally snarky thoughts on everything from motherhood, politics, life and current events. Cocktails are sometimes mandatory. Bottoms up!

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Effin' COLD!!

A self portrait...
This is me, just coming in after trudging behind the snowblower clearing the driveway (again). I really am *not* as big as the door, but I like to wear that coat because I can wear a fleece pullover and another coat underneath it. It's all about the layers.

At first I skipped the face scarf option thinking that the coats, ear cover, regular scarf, hood and gloves would be enough, but it's cold enough that it hurts to have exposed skin out there. That, and as I was beginning to think - "Man, that wind is painful!!" I remembered the weather guy on TV saying that at these temps exposed skin freezes in about 10 minutes. And this job was going to take more than 10 minutes.

Riiiiight.... I knew that... And I mostly like my face - so voila! Second scarf!

And it's just going to get colder...
Issued by The National Weather Service
Milwaukee/Sullivan, WI
3:41 pm CST, Wed., Jan. 14, 2009

AN ARCTIC HIGH WILL PUSH INTO THE DAKOTAS TONIGHT... SENDING VERY COLD AIR SOUTH INTO THE GREAT LAKES. THIS COLD AIR WILL REMAIN IN PLACE FOR THE REST OF THE WEEK. AIR TEMPERATURES EXPECTED TONIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY NIGHT ARE THE COLDEST OBSERVED OVER SOUTHERN WISCONSIN IN 13 YEARS.

LOW TEMPERATURES TONIGHT ARE EXPECTED TO DROP INTO THE LOW 20S BELOW ZERO OVER MUCH OF SOUTH CENTRAL WISCONSIN... AROUND 18 BELOW OVER SOUTHEAST WISCONSIN... AND AROUND 13 BELOW NEAR THE LAKE. GUSTY NORTHWEST WINDS BETWEEN 10 TO 20 MPH WILL PRODUCE DANGEROUS WIND CHILL VALUES OF 35 TO 45 BELOW.

HIGH TEMPERATURES ON THURSDAY WILL STRUGGLE TO EVEN REACH 5 BELOW... DESPITE SUNSHINE. CONTINUED GUSTY NORTHWEST WINDS OF 10 TO 20 MPH WILL PRODUCE WIND CHILL VALUES AROUND 30 BELOW THROUGHOUT MUCH OF THE DAY.

I think I will stay my happy ass inside for the next while. And think about warmer places...