My occasionally snarky thoughts on everything from motherhood, politics, life and current events. Cocktails are sometimes mandatory. Bottoms up!

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Belize Day 5 - Ocean Adventures

Okay, now where were we... Oh right.

So Thursday Day 5 dawned cool (72) cloudy and calm. The wind had just howled the entire time we had been there so it was great to see that with the calm winds, the ocean was much calmer too! It had been so windy in fact that Dash (who had planned this great fly fishing excursion) wasn't sure he was going to get to go fly fishing at all - but yay - Thursday was great!

We slept in a bit, hit the pool, and then we (along with Oddybobo and her family) decided to make another quick trip into San Pedro for a bit more shopping and lunch.

The streets of San Pedro were much busier than they had been earlier in the week...
And we saw more than a few interesting dining establishments...

WxMan scored an energy drink - so he was happy. I think the things are bilious, personally - but hey, I didn't have to drink it.


Here is the Catholic Church - they were getting all geared up for Holy Week services. And I thought Jesus looked quite colorful!

Check out the rectory and parish hall right across the street!

And we picked out a pretty conch shell to take home.

We happened upon this great shop that had the awesome wind chimes and other wooden local items including a new gecko for my kitchen! Whoohoo!

I just love it! Wish I had purchased about five of them...

Anyhoo, it was time for lunch. Funny how things work, but Oddybobo and her family had chosen the same place to dine! Yay! And fortunate, because we ended up running a bit late and they were able to ask our water taxi driver to wait just a few extra minutes... I just hate being late, dang it!

But we made our way with all of our purchases back to the resort. Yay!

Since the winds had died down, I was really wanting to take out a couple of the ocean kayaks out to the reef - about 1000 yards away from the beach. Maybe more...

So we gathered up snorkels and masks, I grabbed the waterproof camera. We reapplied sunscreen and off we went...


The ocean was calmer than it had been all week but we were still dealing with 3 to 5 foot swells - those will get your attention! Things were going along just [ahem] swimmingly until...

You guessed it. Sporta swung, I dodged, Computa panicked, and kersploosh!! Computa and I were in the ocean. Hoo boy...

In that clear water, you think it's probably not all that deep because hey - the bottom is right there! Not so, I discovered... But no worries. We managed to get Computa calmed down, I rescued almost all of the gear, righted the kayak and got everything back in order.

It was a quite interesting 15 minutes or so... And we discovered that along with the swells, there were some pretty strong currents out there - so I nixed the idea of doing some snorkeling (I would be fine - but the kids?? Not worth the risk...) and we headed back to the beach.

The kids had a blast just swimming off the dock!


And hey - we found some pretty fish...

All in all, it was a very good day...

Alrighty then - tomorrow brings us Belize Day 6 - Time to Go Home.

Boo. I don't want it to end - again...