My occasionally snarky thoughts on everything from motherhood, politics, life and current events. Cocktails are sometimes mandatory. Bottoms up!

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Let the search begin!

Time to start making things happen before I "what if" myself right into the looney bin.

So what if I haven't been a member of the work force in any meaningful way in about a decade? I'm not broken. I've just been a Mom full time -- and even now I'm not quite willing to re-assign the girls another primary care giver. So, what do I do? Well, the way I see it, I am going to have to get a little more flexible and/or a LOT more creative.

Here's the thing, stress for me equals no sleep. I crash at 10 pm only to find myself wide awake at either 1:10 am or 3:10 am (always 10 after -- weird, I know). And that sucks -- but I'm thinking, why not go with it?? I am already sick of waking up in the middle of the night with a big long list of worries and nothing to do about them so I have decided that it must be a sign to start looking for a 3rd shift kind of job.

Think about it -- a traditional 9-5 deal would be a big hassle if the girls are sick or on Christmas vacation, right? Not to mention summer.... jeez, that would never work.....

A evening gig would mean a caregiver in the afternoons (provided hubby gets a "normal" type of day job). And he has been working 60-70 hours per week for years. I don't see that changing. The Caregiver overlap combined with the fact that would never get to see members of my family makes evenings a poor choice.

That leaves working nights (or an early morning 2am- 8am kinda "make the doughnuts" deal). That way I could technically be available during the day if one of the kids are sick, hubby would obviously be home at night so we wouldn't have to worry about an extra caregiver for evenings, holidays or summer. I'm thinking that finding a 3rd shift gig might just be the best short term (or possibly long term) solution.

Now don't think that I have all of these pollyanna ideas about what it is to work nights. I worked a graveyard shift for a while in college -- I already know that being a Vampire sucks.
(hee hee -- get it? Vampire -- sucks? Oh nevermind... see what being overtired and stressed is doing to me?)
I think though that given the parameters I am dealing with I may have come up with a fairly viable solution. Hmmmm? Any suggestions?