My occasionally snarky thoughts on everything from motherhood, politics, life and current events. Cocktails are sometimes mandatory. Bottoms up!

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Breakfast G.G. Style

.....the diet can start later....

With Grandma here, one of the first things the girls (and Hubby for that matter) asked for was Wormy Pancakes. You read that right. :) Usually she will just ask you if you want a "Wormy."

The first time my Husband took me to Oklahoma to meet his family I learned several valuable lessons. One being that I was a "Yankee," meaning there were going to be new traditions and words to learn -- some of them at my expense. :) Another was if Grandma wants to fix you something to eat for Heaven's sake let her -- it will be delicious!

That was the lesson I learned that first morning at his grandmother's house (where we were staying). I was informed that she was making one of Hubby's favorite breakfasts -- Wormy Pancakes -- and would I like one?

I politely declined, thinking that the "wormy" part could be literal -- who knew? I had heard about brains and eggs, after all. And I come from a place where Rocky Mountain Oysters are served -- (and no oysters are sacrificed for that recipe). Wormy Pancakes? Well, Hubby wasn't there to ask.... so better to be safe than sorry, right?

The good news is that no worms are a part of the "Wormy Pancake" experience -- that is just the term used by the family to describe one of G.G.'s homemade funnel cakes. And they are delicious! Just for fun, here is the recipe:

Wormy Pancakes
3 C. Flour
3 eggs (lightly beaten)
1 1/2 to 2 cups milk
1 Tbs. Sugar

**In a medium sized skillet heat about 1" to 2" of vegetable oil.
**This will make about 6 plate sized Wormy Pancakes

Beat eggs and mix with 1 1/2 C. of milk. Add to flour and sugar. Add additional milk until the batter is the consistency of cake batter. Once oil is hot, drizzle in batter starting in the middle and adding circle after circle of batter (make sure that they overlap in places) until they your pancake is the desired size. You will need to work fairly quickly.

Once the Wormy Pancake becomes golden on one side, carefully flip the cake in the oil (I use a knife and fork to keep better control) and fry until golden brown. Serve hot with butter and syrup. Or sprinkle with powdered sugar. Hubby likes his with peanut butter and syrup -- to each his own.

So we were all treated to "Wormy's" on Sunday. Breakfast G.G. style indeed.....